Warning of Motor Vehicle Theft Trend
According to the police an escalating number of reported cases of theft regarding motor vehicles are currently experienced in the North West province. The theft is commonly during the day at shopping malls, business areas and residential places. Targeted items are anything that could be of value. It would seem that the thieves would steal almost anything.
The common modus operandi of these crimes includes breaking of windows, forcing doors open and forceful opening of bonnets. In some instances suspects need not apply any effort as car windows or doors are not closed or locked. There are also suspicions that remote controllers could have been used to interfere with locking.
Motorists are requested to take heed and apply the following precautionary measures:
- Place all valuables out of sight in vehicles.
- Ensure that all doors and windows are closed and locked.
- Physically test if your car doors have been locked.
- Ensure that your vehicle has been parked in a well-lit area.
- Make use of car guards where possible.
These crimes can be escalating because of the festive season that is approaching. No matter where you park or leave your vehicle for any amount of time, ensure that it has been secured.