Marikana robbery and attempted murder
The Marikana Police are investigating a case of attempted murder and armed robbery after a 40-year-old victim was shot by two unknown suspects. The incident occurred Friday 12 April 2013 at about 20:00. It is alleged that the victim was together with his friend walking home from work. They met the two suspects who demanded their wallet and cell phones. According to the information received, one of the suspects shot the victim in the face. The victim’s friend managed to escape. The victim was taken to Rustenburg Hospital where he is recovering.
Although things happen very quickly in one of these robberies, your life is at stake and you need to stay calm and have a clear mind. Professionals have researched situations like this and here is a few tips on how to react when this might happen to you:
- Try to stay calm. Breath and keep your mind clear.
- Don’t make any sudden movements to upset the robber.
- Do exactly as you are told and do not resist.
- Tell the robber about anything that might surprise him, such as someone who is expected to arrive soon.
- If you have to move or reach, tell the robber what you are going to do and why.
- Try to get a good look at the robber so you can describe him later.
- Give the robber time to leave.
- Note his direction of travel when he leaves.
- Try to get a description of his vehicle ONLY if you can do so without exposing yourself to harm.
- Don’t be a hero. It’s better to lose your money than your life.
We do not know what is going on in the mind of the robber. They might do something extremely unpredictable and violent. Do not let your pride get in the way of your safety. Contact the police immediately after the incident and let them handle the situation.